Overseas placements

Overseas placements

Getting a 3-12 month placement overseas can count towards your post-Part 1 professional experience, on the condition that you are supervised by a registered architect. RIBA’s PEDR website has more information about regulations for overseas experience under Frequently Asked Questions.

If you want to look for placements outside of Europe, you will have to consider the visa regulations for the country you would like to work in. Some employers or work placement providers may arrange, or help you to arrange, your visa. If you are responsible for arranging your own visa, start by checking out the information on Prospects country profiles, but for the most up to date information visit the embassy or consulate website for the country in question.

Finding international practices:

International placement providers:

  • IAESTE – international work experience for architectural students
  • GoAbroad.com – sometimes advertise architecture internships
  • Finding work experience – links to additional international work experience providers

Next: Alternative options
Previous: Recruitment agencies